Friday, May 20, 2005

Reading Signals

One of the things I decided recently is that I really do need to get out more. Tonight I went to a party for some friends who got engaged recently, at a small bar/restaurant place. I spend an hour or so yakking with a girl sitting next to me who's off to South America to do Good Deeds, then switch places and go to the end of the table and start chatting up Engineer Girl. She's probably early 30s, tall, long blonde hair, nice body, a little plain. I'd met her a couple of times before at events with these same friends. She's very opinionated and a little obnoxious. For some reason though we had a pretty nice conversation and I noticed she touched me several times, on the shoulder, the elbow, and the forearm (she also gave me a hug when I came in). So I'm thinking this is going pretty well. At one point toward the end of the evening I take her right hand and ask her about a ring she's wearing.

At some point in the conversation (which is mostly her bitching about her boss being an asshole) the conversation wanders to diseases (SARS, West Nile, whooping cough, etc.) and she says something about getting tested for AIDS regularly "between partners" and then I say something pretty dumb like laughing 'cause I've not really had a need for such tests in years. (sad, but true, but not the best time to say it!)

So at the end of the evening I volunteer to walk her to her car as it's late and not such a good neighborhood. I figure I should get a hug out of this, but nope, she just says goodnight, gets in her car and drives off. Huh? Was she upset I didn't ask her for her phone number? I figured I'd see how it goes next time I see her and get it then, or just get it from her friend. Hmm.

Match.com update: Had a couple of emails back and forth with "J" a.k.a match.com #2, turns out she took her profile down because her ex has gone psycho/postal on her (she's been divorced 5 years). Hadn't heard from #1, so sent her a short "how's it going" email, got a quick response from her asking for my IM, so emailed it to her. This was before the party. Got home, and signed on to IM and she's requested to be my buddy, but she's idle. Grr.

2 Comments:

Blogger That 30's Guy said...

DCG you've got me worried. You sound like an older version of me (I'm 28 going onto 29) who is trying to change his whole dating approach before I reach 30. It's been hard and not going as well as it should. I'll be sure to visit here often since my blog is about the same idea as yours. I like what I've read so far, buddy.

3:17 PM  
Blogger DCG said...

Hang in there brother! Thanks for the kind words.

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home