Friday, May 06, 2005

Sickly Girl

So I had a date tonight, with a girl I'll call Sickly Girl (SG). I've known SG for probably 7 or 8 years. For a long time I thought she was a hypochondriac but I've decided she probably isn't. She's had a variety of health problems. She's 29, tall, cute but a little ungraceful.

SG dated a somewhat older guy for a long time (probably 6+ years) throughout her college years and after, then he somewhat unceremoniously dumped her. We've often done various friend-type activities -- the occasional movie, baseball or football game. Strictly platonic, though, at least on her side, and while I thought she was kind of cute, her sickly tendencies were very offputting. The last straw for me was in the fall, when we were supposed to go to a football game together and she called me that morning and said she was sick and couldn't go. I decided I just couldn't count on her for anything that was time-sensitive like that. Cold hearted? No, just practical. When you already have tickets for an activity and someone stands you up like that, then, even when it's not something they can help, you tend to think twice about planning such things in the future. Still, I did the typical nice guy things, sending her a Christmas card, etc.

About 6 weeks ago was her birthday, and I sent her an email to wish her a happy birthday. She called me (or emailed me, I don't remember) to say thanks and ask if I wanted to get together that evening. That was unprecedented.

Anyway, since that time we've gone out a total of 4 times including tonight. The first was her birthday, and was just a quick bite at a restaurant. A couple of weeks after that I took her to the opera; then a couple of weeks later to a movie (The Ring Two, Samantha, and you're right, it was lacking). Tonight I took her to improv comedy, but after the show she said she was tired and I just took her home. While we were driving she mentioned that she wanted to see "Crash" and we are going to see it tomorrow.

Up until tonight I think I was DCG-ing her pretty well, but I think I broke down a bit. She's kind of an odd duck, though -- she's very hand-holdy and snuggly, but our kisses have been nice, but superficial -- no tongue! How weird is that? So I'm not sure what the heck is going on here -- maybe she doesn't either. I suspect DCG would have just stuck his tongue in her mouth and not worried about it; but I didn't manage it. Hmmph!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jamy said...

I can't tell if you actually like any of the women you are writing about. Do you even like this particular one enough to be friends with her? I'd stop worrying about what she wants and figure out what you want--even if it's casual sex.

4:52 PM  
Blogger DCG said...

Okay, my cynical side says -- if you can't tell if I like them, I'm doing it right! :-)

My non-cynical side says... I'm still figuring this out. Do I like SG? Sure! I'm trying to be not so serious, though; in the past if I couldn't immediately picture myself married to someone I wouldn't even ask them out, and I think that's a bit shortsighted. So yes, I like SG. ACG? Not sure. She annoys me, but sometimes it's in that way that people you like annoy you, if you know what I mean.

As for HMG, of course I like her. If I didn't there's no way in hell I'd put up with her crap.

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home