Sunday, July 03, 2005

Adjustment Period

So Samantha has been here almost a week, and it's been quite an adjustment period for both of us. We have had some small spats, but nothing I'd categorize as serious. She is seriously homesick though, and that's a problem. It's not easy to up and move to a place where you know almost no one.

Friday night we went out to a comedy show, which was a lot of fun, and then met up with HMG at a bar. That did not go so well. HMG was very very tired and in a pissy mood, and the first impression she made on Samantha was not good. I haven't really heard anything the other way from HMG, who is dealing more with some of her own pressing issues right now.

Saturday night we went dancing with a couple of friends of mine. It was fun, although I think the music was not really Samantha's first choice (80s and 90s music). Still, she liked my friends and they liked her so that was good -- she's not feeling quite so lonesome, hopefully.

Wildchild has been quite critical of this relationship, and while I can understand how it looks to her, I know what I am doing and we have talked about these things. For example, we agreed that Samantha would continue her "30 First Dates" project, so she has gone out on a couple of dates, and will continue to do so. Am I a sap? Maybe. I'm finding, though, that with Samantha I have had to explicitly accept her as she is. While I have always tried to do that in past relationships, I didn't do such a great job. Here it's "up front" effort that is producing a refreshing freedom and openness in our relationship. It's good.

I don't know where this relationship is going, and I'm under no illusions that it will (or won't) be lasting more than a few months. Realistically, though, that's true of any relationship. In this one I have my eyes open more than usual, and I think that's good.

1 Comments:

Blogger DCG said...

WC, if you wish, send me an email and I'll discuss with you offline.

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home